Plumbing Services in London
A plumber is a tradesperson who is trained in the installation and maintenance of facilities used for the passage of water or other forms of liquid, drainage and sewage in plumbing facilities. A plumber is most active in the construction sector.
Plumbing is any facility that channels fluids for diverse applications. The apparatuses used to channel fluid include pipes, valves, tanks, and plumbing fixtures. Plumbing services are commonly required in the areas of waste removal, potable water delivery, heating and cooling (HVAC). However, there are also other areas that require plumbing services in domestic and industrial applications.
Plumbing services are significant because of the strong influence it has on public health and hygiene. For this reason, employers of plumbers should not substitute plumbers for boilermakers or pipefitters. Although, the latter occupations also make use of pipes in their respective areas of specialization, their hygienic orientation is low compared to that of a certified plumber.
For the purpose of authenticity and quality in job delivery, plumbers in London are required to have passed the 2nd and 3rd levels of the National Vocational Qualification. Approved organizations that coordinate NVQ programmes include: "The City and Guilds of London Institute" and "Pearson".
At NVQ level 2, plumbers in London are trained on how to apply the knowledge of plumbing according to the standard of Business Services Engineering (BSE). Skills include:
• Safety principles during work
• Communication skills
• Measures for Environmental Protection.
• Principles in Science
• Techniques for pipework fabrication and preparation of sites
• Techniques for the installation and Maintenance of domestic cold and hot water systems
• Techniques for the installation and maintenance of central heating systems
• Techniques for the installation and maintenance of domestic rainwater systems
• Techniques for the installation and the maintenance of domestic aboveground drainage system
At NVQ 3, plumbers are trained:
• To do electrical work on components of plumbing systems and heat systems, plumbing and heat systems.
• To have the capacity to maintain and service appliances of oil firing pressure jet
• To have the techniques to commission, install, and handover solar thermal hot water systems that are "effective"
• To have the techniques to install, commission, and handover reuse greywater facility and rainwater harvesting.
At the NVQ 3 level, a plumber will major in a branch out of six branches. At the completion of this level, London plumbers are authenticated and certified to practice. All NVQ certified plumbers are tested theoretically and practically.
There are approved bodies, associations or organizations for certified plumbers in London. The leading associations for London plumbers include, "Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineers (CIPHE)" and "The Association of Plumbing and Heating Contractors (APHC)".
Created in the year 1906, CIPHE has gained recognition as the notable professional body for plumbing and heating industry in the UK. A member of CIPHE can pass as a professional plumber. CIPHE focuses on developing its members with respect to research, updates, science, practices, and ethics of the plumbing services.
Focusing on how the plumbing industry can be sustainable for plumbers and other workers, APHC partners with government, authorities, and associations. It also offers important plans for the betterment of its members. The membership levels of APHC include: Associate Membership, CDS and Licensed Membership, and Licensed Membership.
Plumbing services in London remains one of the leading plumbing services in the world. This is merited to the credible research, the quality curriculum for vocational qualifications, and the authorized bodies overseeing the activities of the certified plumbers.