In the modern business landscape, it goes without saying that the internet is the future. Any business that is not already leveraging the power of internet marketing is fast hurtling to its death. With over 3.62 billion users up for grabs, it makes sense to ensure your business has some form of online presence. A few years back, a beautiful website would have sufficed, but not today. If you are thinking of taking your business online, you have to be fully equipped for the stifling competition. To stay ahead of the pack, you need to optimize your site for search engines. In essence, search engine optimization (SEO) is the secret to successful internet marketing.
Whether you are running an online store or you are using the internet to build your brand, it is important to appreciate the importance of high ranking on search engine result pages (SERPs) for your ranking keyword. Your site must rank highly on SERPs for your target audience to find you and this is where SEO techniques come into play. A report by the Search Engine Journal shows that 75% of internet users don’t scroll past the first page of SERPs. This means you have to use various SEO techniques to ensure your site is ranking highly on SERPs for the target keywords.
White Hat Vs. Black Hat SEO
This is where things get tricky. During the early years of search engine optimization (SEO), it was a free for all and every SEO technique was used to boost ranking on search engines. This is where a dichotomy of the techniques emerged.
Black hat techniques are SEO strategies that entail manipulating search engines. In essence, the idea was to play the system by making a particular website seem more relevant to search engines, thus getting better ranking. The outcome was a poor user experience because the content on the site is not relevant.
White hat SEO techniques on the other hand entail providing users with quality materials related to what they came to the website for. Such content is created by experts and there are no underhand techniques to manipulate search engines. All search engine guidelines contained in the terms of service are adhered to and the user will always find the experience highly beneficial.
Black Hat SEO techniques to Avoid
As it so happens white hat SEO takes time and resources to bear results and this is one reason why black hat techniques are still being used. When hiring GoBimm SEO expert for your website, it is crucial to ensure they will only use white hat SEO strategies which cannot lead to algorithmic penalties. With continuing search engine algorithms updates, it is more important than ever to understand which tools your SEO project should avoid.
Below are a few of these strategies you should caution your SEO consultant against using:
1. Keyword stuffing –Keywords are without doubt the most abused SEO tools and this trend started way back. By adding keywords randomly, an SEO consultant might be trying to trick search engines about the relevance of the page to the search. Not only does keyword stuffing hit your site’s SERPs ranking but it also affects conversion due to a poor user experience.
2. Link Buying and exchange – Link building still remains one of the most misunderstood SEO techniques. It is important to note that it is not about the quantity of links but the quality. With Google Penguin and other algorithm updates, it takes only a short time before your spammy links bought from irrelevant sites are detected. This will lead to an immediate penalty.
3. Hidden text – This is still related to keyword abuse and it entails including invisible text on a page which search engines can see but users can’t. The idea is to manipulate search engine crawlers and while the same time avoiding bounce rates.
4. Cloaking – This is one of the most popular black hat SEO techniques and it is important to tell your SEO consultant to avoid it right from the beginning. It entails coding your webpages such that you show two different sets of content; one for search engine crawlers and the other for users. This way, an SEO consultant is hoping to manipulate search engines by presenting keyword-rich content for better ranking. Site visitors on the other hand find more readable text.
5. Article spinning – There are many article spinning online tools which are used by lazy webmasters. The idea is to keep publishing new content yet no value is added because these articles already exit.
There are many other black hat SEO tools to avoid including link farms, doorway pages, spam comments, duplicate content, link bait and switch among others. Whatever your SEO consultant tells you, remember the risk is simply not worth it.