Moving into a new home can be an exciting chapter in your life, however, it comes with its own set of stresses. Whether you are moving cross-country or cross-town, a move will require a lot of time and work to pack up your belongings and transport everything. When you are going through this process, having a moving company can be a great option. Professional movers in Southeast Michigan have this process down to an exact science and they can do all the heavy lifting for you. You can even pay them extra to pack and unpack your things!
If you decide to hire professional movers in Southeast Michigan, preparation is the key to making sure your move will not take longer than it needs. It is in your best interest to do everything you can to prepare your home for the movers to do their job quickly and efficiently as possible, therefore below are a few tips to help make your move smooth and simple:
• Create an Inventory List: Create a list of all the items you are about to use. This can be especially useful when you and your movers are organizing things. Plus, it can serve as proof of the contents in case something goes missing or gets damaged. It is also recommended that you keep a list of serial numbers of all your electronics and appliances as well as their brands.
• Packing Supplies: Unless you are purchasing packing supplies directly from your moving company, then you may want to stock up on boxes, bubble wrap, tape, and whatever else necessary for your belongings.
• Pack Your Things: Unless the movers will provide packing services, then it is up to you to box up the majority of your belongings before they arrive. Be sure that everything is sturdy and that your fragile items are well taken care of. The better you pack your things, the less likely your movers will break anything.
• Label Boxes: If you are packing your belongings by yourself as opposed to the movers, then be sure to label your boxes. For instance, label boxes that contain fragile items by writing “FRAGILE” clearly on all sides. This will help avoid any accidents and your movers will appreciate it.
• Separate Important Documents: If you are handling the packing, be sure to keep any valuable documents which should not be in the hands of anyone else. Most moving companies will avoid transporting important documents or cash since they do not want to be held liable, so be prepared to keep those closely.
• Take Photos: Before the movers arrive, take as many photos as possible. Not only can this be proof that all of your household items are in good condition, but it can also help you remember how things are arranged so that you can set it up the same way in your new home.
• Large Appliances: If you plan on transporting appliances such as a refrigerator, washing machine, dryer, or dishwasher, then it is best to check in with the moving company first. Some movers will require you to prepare these appliances by certified technicians.
• Unplug Everything: Before moving, be sure to go around and make sure all your appliances are unplugged. If your television has a complex network of cables, you can take a quick picture so you or the moving company can get everything plugged in again in the new home. By doing this, it can save you some time during the moving day.
• Dispose of Hazardous Chemicals: You will not be able to take anything flammable with you. Plus, a moving company will refuse to transport these hazardous chemicals. To make everything easier, it is best you throw any household chemicals away before you move.
• Eliminate Useless Items: After staying in a house for a while, it is normal to accumulate items. Instead of relocating them to your new home, donate these items to charity, give it away, or dispose of them.
• Clean Up: Sweep, dust, mop, and vacuum everything you can before the moving day. Make sure there is not a lot of dust in the air for the sake of the movers.
With these tips in mind, you should be well on your way towards preparing for the professional movers in Southeast Michigan to arrive. Good luck!