Plumbing needs are more common than you think, especially if you have an older home. At some point in your life, you will need to hire a plumbing contractor in Salt Lake City, Utah and it is a decision that should not be taken lightly. Since plumbing contractors are responsible for some of the most important parts of your home, you will need to hire someone who is reputable and reliable. Failure to hire someone who does high-quality service or is experienced can result in costly and dangerous repairs in the future.
Before hiring a plumbing contractor in Salt Lake City, Utah, below are a few tips you can use in order to choose the right one for you:
• References: Plumbing contractors who do not want to give out references may not perform well. You want to choose someone you can trust and provide quality work. You can ask friends and family who had firsthand experience with someone in particular. Otherwise, go online and look for reviews from other people’s experience.
• License: In 44 states, plumbing contractors are required to hold a license. If your state does not require being licensed, then be sure to check if they have any formal complaints filed against them or their company. A good plumber will have a clean complaint record.
• Insurance: While many homeowners have their own insurance that will offer them protection, a plumber will have insurance to protect both you and the plumber in the event he or she is injured or there is an accident on the job.
• Experience: Find out how long the plumbing contractor has been in business. A larger company will likely have plumbers who have years of experience. If they have been around for some time, then it is a good sign as it shows that they have proven a track record of quality work. After all, it takes several years for most reputable plumbers to acquire their knowledge and skills.
• Pricing: A plumber will know what is needed for the job and should be able to give you an accurate estimate while barring any other major problems. It is suggested to obtain at least three written and detailed estimates for the job. Be wary of any estimate that is much lower than the others. This could mean that the plumber is cutting corners, using inferior parts, or has a lack of knowledge.
• Warranty: All plumbing contractors should guarantee quality work, including their parts and labor. Be sure to ask for a detailed copy of their warranty to see what is covered and for how long. Many warranties cover the plumber’s work for up to about one year. If a plumber refuses to offer a guarantee, then it is best to move on and keep looking.
• Communication Skills: It helps to have a plumbing contractor who can communicate clearly with you. This way, they can explain what needs to be done or what is going on so you understand what you are paying for. It is a bonus if they are able to maintain close communication by keeping you updated, taking in your calls, and answering any of your questions with detailed answers.
• Tools and Equipment: One of the main reasons why you would hire a plumbing contractor is because not only do they have the knowledge and skills for the job, but they also have the necessary tools and equipment to do an efficient job.
• Permits and Parts: Find out if they stock the plumbing parts in their truck or van. If not, that could imply visits to the hardware store. If the plumbing contractor has to go to the store to buy the parts, find out who is to pay for that time.
• Response Time: When calling in for emergency plumbing services, inquire about how soon they can fix the problem. While emergency plumbers can be reached at all times, there is a possibility that the response time can be delayed depending on how far the travel distance is to get to your place.
Finding a skilled and dependable plumbing contractor in Salt Lake City, Utah can be quite overwhelming. It is best you put in some time and thought into your decision. The tips above should go a long way in helping you pick someone reliable.