a peek inside my art journal
1. While I am not picky about the sketchbooks that I use, I am particular about my art journals only because I use a lot of paint and wet media which means I need paper that will hold up to all my layers and techniques. I prefer watercolor paper or bristol paper because it is nice and thick and holds up well when using paint.
2. I really like using matte acrylic paint when I am painting in an art journal because the pages, once closed, won't stick together (sometimes they will when using acrylic paint that has a gloss).
3. I always keep a glue stick around so I can quickly glue collage ephemera or photos to pages of my art journal.
4. I spend a lot of time drawing and doodling over the top of my painted journal pages so I always have a good collection of permanent pens and markers on hand.
5. When I am creating painted backgrounds in my art journal I tend to reach for my brayer before a paint brush- I love the look of messy color rolled all over the surface of a page.
6. Paint pens, especially white ones are one of my favorite tools to use when I am drawing or doodling over the top of dark backgrounds.
7. I will use any kind of tape (washi tape, masking tape, scotch tape, etc) to attached photos and collage ephemera to my pages. Often my art journal becomes a place to store ideas which means a lot of pages have little notes, ideas, pieces of doodles and photos attached to the surface.
8. I use watercolors all the time and even though I use a lot of acrylic paint in my art journal pages, I also like to use watercolors to add color to doodles and drawings.