2018 To-Do List
Let’s face it, I’m not very good at keeping resolutions. Is anyone?? It’s well into February already and I’m only just now even writing them down (actually, that’s not true, I started this post on January 8th but am only *just now* finishing it/publishing it!) so I think we all know where this is going… That said, I am surprisingly good at making to-do lists and enthusiastically crossing out items (does anyone else write things down they’ve already done just to cross them out? No… ok then moving right along…). I figured if I wanted half a shot at getting some things accomplished this year and sticking to my “resolutions” I should at least document them here on the blog so I can be accountable (can you guess what one of them will be already?). So here goes – in no particular order here are some things on my list:
- Work on Leo’s baby book (he’s 16 months old now… umm, ooops?)
- Take Leo on a weekend getaway with no agenda, just wander around and explore somewhere new. We’ve taken him on a few trips, but it’s always been to visit family, attend an event, etc. While those trips have been fun (albeit hectic), I want to do something a bit more laid back with no set schedule or expectations.
- Write more. For me, not work. This one’s on my list every year and every December I look back and think, if I had just set a schedule or been more diligent, or not laid in bed scrolling through Instagram photos, I would have so much writing done! For one, I want to get this blog going and although I would like to get to one new post per week, I’m going to be realistic and set a very attainable goal of one post per month starting NOW. Baby steps, right? (I won’t even go into the whole “write my novel” thing here.)
- Read more. I miss books and magazines. Ever since the demise of my book club, I’ve barely read anything that isn’t on a screen. I subscribe to several print mags, not to mention all the ones I get for free from my company, and they just pile up lately, making for a lovely decorative “stack” on our accent chest. I want to get back into the groove of reading a book or magazine before bed every night, and am committing to reading at least one book per month in 2018. This is sad, especially when I see all my Insta-friends doing the #52book challenge, but again, baby steps.
- Exercise everyday. Ha, right? No, really, I’m using the term exercise loosely, but I really should be able to commit to 20 minutes a day of some sort of physical activity (or at least, on average, so a rare 60 minute workout day counts for 3 days… that’s how it works, right?). I love taking walks and if this frozen tundra ever lets up, that will be most days activity, with the occasional yoga class, swim, etc. thrown in. Also, chasing your toddler around and dancing to “The Hot Dog song” counts too, right?
- More freelance writing. My current specialties are #rhodylove and now, #momlife, and I’d love to share my thoughts on both with a wider audience. Whether it’s local publications, mom blogs or guest blogging, I plan to find another outlet or two to add my voice to in 2018. Any reccos?
- Learn photography. I’ve had this one on the back burner for a while now because I always thought I needed an expensive new camera to really do it right, but I’ve recently discovered that iPhone photography (or “iPhoneography” as the kids are calling it) is a real thing and I can learn some basics of photography with just my handy little pocket device. One day I DO want to invest in a *real* camera and take classes but for now, I’d love to just learn how to sharpen my skills, for the ‘gram if nothing else!
Thanks for reading and here’s to a productive 2018!