whole wheat tortilla pizzas with arugula + prosciutto
Today, I’m going to tell you all about my cats.
And how annoying they are.
While preparing the ingredients for this pizza, the 3 of them formed an elite pride slowly stalking my every move. They wanted scraps. I tried to ignore them (as you do) but with cat-like fury, they unleashed a master plan; the alpha male swiped my cell phone onto the floor creating a diversion, while his girlfriend scurried off with the loot! She hijacked my prosciutto, ok?! The third cat was monitoring close by, ready to pounce.
I wasn’t going anywhere near those crazy black cat eyes, so I let them feast- you just don’t mess with felines & pork products. Good grief.
Once the drama had settled, I got back to making one of my favorite light bites.
We like nibbling on these tortilla pizzas with drinks before dinner or as a quick snack. My 2 year old could probably make this himself- just take a little tomato sauce, spread it on some whole wheat tortillas, and top with cheese. Bake in a hot oven until it’s all crisp and bubbling. I love pizza with arugula, so I add a handful of greens dressed in good quality extra virgin olive oil and lemon. And of course, there’s the prosciutto. One slice per pizza is all you need to give it some delicious, salty flavor.
Come to think of it, this would be good with fresh mozzarella as well. I used the grated kind on this particular day… you know, because I love to grate cheese.
Before I disappear to go eat what’s left of this mess, the elusive madame editor wanted me to mention, and I quote, ‘how not to burn the s*** out of this tortilla pizza’ (apparently, she’s blackened quite a few back in her day). My answer is to bake them at 425 F so that the edges and cheese all bubble and brown at the same time. Rotate the pans halfway through cooking. Sound good?
- The next time you make a batch of tomato sauce (or have some leftover from dinner), freeze some in snack-size Ziploc bags. This way you can pull out a small amount without having to defrost a large quantity.
whole wheat tortilla pizzas with arugula prosciutto
Prep time 5 mins
Cook time 10 mins
Total time 15 mins
Author: The Clever Carrot Serves: 4
- 4x 8-inch whole wheat tortillas
- ¾ c. tomato sauce
- 4 small handfuls of mozzarella cheese, grated
- 4 slices of prosciutto
- 1 large handful of arugula leaves
- ½ tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 425 F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Alternatively, you can use a pizza stone. Place it inside the preheated oven for 10 minutes or so to heat up.
- Spread about 3 tablespoons of tomato sauce onto each tortilla, leaving a ½ inch border around the edge for your ‘crust’. Use the back of a spoon to help guide you.
- Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for about 7-10 minutes (or more) or until the pizza is crisp, bubbling, and golden brown. Rotate your pans halfway through cooking for even browning.
- In a small bowl, add the arugula, lemon juice and olive oil. Toss with your hands to coat. Adjust the taste to your liking.
- Remove the pizzas from the oven.
- Tear up the prosciutto slices and add to each pizza.
- Top with arugula salad.
- Serve warm.
The post whole wheat tortilla pizzas with arugula prosciutto appeared first on The Clever Carrot.
- Yum! But stalking cats sounds too much for me! I took your tip ... by celia
- Oh you had me laughing out loud imaging your cats forming a ... by JJ - 84thand3rd
- cats are covert operatives who will stop at nothing to attain ... by Kelly @ Inspired Edibles