Parsnip Fries + Red Lentil Miso Hummus
I’m in the final preparations for our food styling & photography retreat coming up this weekend! I can’t wait to meet the participants and spend the weekend cooking, teaching and talking about photography, styling and all the things that make my heart happy. The past couple days have been hectic and I’m a bit overwhelmed with everything that is still to do, but I’m feeling so excited at the same time. Be sure to pop over my Instagram and check my IG stories over the weekend to get a peak at the workshop! But first, let me share this new favourite recipe with you.
With time being quite scarce these past couple weeks, I found myself looking for quick snacks and simple bites. When I saw these parsnips at the market, I knew their fate would be in the form of fries, a favourite of mine. I love how similar their texture can be to potatoes, yet how distinctive and unique their taste is. If you’ve never had parsnip fries before, please do yourself a favour and try these.
I had never thought of serving fries with hummus before, but I came across the idea on Lindsey’s blog a few weeks back and thought it was brilliant. It’s an unexpected combination, but it makes so much sense! The hummus I have here is made with red lentils and flavoured with red miso. I love using red lentils as a base, as they’re naturally soft and make the dip really smooth and creamy.
But the real star here is the red miso. It pairs really well with the lentils, and it lends this hummus its addictive umami flavour. I’ve partnered with Amano Foods for this recipe, a family-owned Canadian company that makes fabulous organic miso. I’ve been buying their miso for years and it truly is my favourite. I used their Aka Miso for this recipe and it gives the hummus a wonderful depth of flavour. Paired with these parsnip fries, it’s an addictive combination. I hope you’ll love it too!
A big thanks to Amano Foods for sponsoring this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own and I think their products are fabulous. I used their Aka Miso (red) for this recipe. Thanks for supporting the brands who support The Green Life!
Parsnip Fries Red Lentil Miso Hummus
Ingredients For the hummus
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- ¼ cup red miso
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 1-2 garlic cloves, to taste
- 2 tbsp tahini
- A good pinch of smoked paprika
- Sea salt, to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- 3-4 parsnips
- A good splash of extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
Instructions For the hummus
- Rinse the lentils well and remove any debris. Place them in a medium saucepan with 2½ cups of water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until the liquid is absorbed and the lentils are tender, about 15 minutes, stirring frequently. (You may need to add more water, as necessary).
- Transfer cooked lentils to a food processor. Add all the other ingredients and blend until completely smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more vinegar/lemon or salt, as needed.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line one (or two) baking sheet(s) with parchment paper.
- Scrub the parsnips under running water with a vegetable brush to remove any dirt. Cut the ends off, and slice them into ¼-inch sticks. Place in a bowl and toss with a generous drizzle of olive oil and a few pinches of sea salt and black pepper. Spread the fries evenly on the prepared baking sheet, making sure to leave some space between each fry.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven, flip the fries and bake for another 7-8 minutes, or until they are brown and crispy.
- Place hummus in a bowl. Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil if desired, chopped parsley, and a pinch of smoked paprika, and serve with the warm fries.
Nutrition Information Calories: 1418 Fat: 27g Saturated fat: 4g Unsaturated fat: 21g Carbohydrates: 242g Sugar: 31g Sodium: 2981mg Fiber: 56g Protein: 68g
If you like this recipe, feel free to pin it to Pinterest. If you make it, make sure to tag your photos with #thegreenlifeblog on Instagram so I can see! And for more inspiration throughout the week, follow me on Nom.