Healthy Chocolate Chip Avocado Muffins
Swap the butter for avocado in these Healthy Chocolate Chip Avocado Muffins. They’re moist and delicious with a chocolate kick for a healthy snack recipe on the go.
If you remember the post I wrote last year for Healthy Avocado Brownies, I talked about how much I love working with this brand to bring avocados to the world! Okay, a bit dramatic but being able to call “getting more Canadians to eat avocados” my job is pretty damn amazing.
It is hands-down my dream partnership come true (I tell them this daily) and the things we have in store for you this year are E-P-I-C!!!
One of the things I love most about avocados is how versatile they can be as a substitute for somewhat less than desirable ingredients, like butter. I’m not gonna hate on butter, but if I had it my way my fat consumption would come from avocados.
When it comes to nutrition, avocados trump butter any day. First off, they’re a great dairy-free alternative for those of you avoiding dairy, like me. And if calories are a concern for you, avocados are infinitely lower in cals than butter.
But more than anything, avocados are loaded with monounsaturated fats, which actually help lower cholesterol. Take that butter!
Beyond its nutritional benefits, avocados also work perfectly as a 1-to-1 swap for butter. If you ignore the slightly green hue they leave (which I think is kind of fun…), you would never know that these delicious and moist muffins actually get their flavor and texture from avocados!
So next time you’re baking up a storm, consider swapping in avocado for butter. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with the results. Or make these muffins because they were wolfed up at the New Years party we attended and they’re outrageously delicious.
Rating 5.0 from 2 reviews
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Serves: 12 muffins
- 2¼ cups oat flour*
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 large avocado (from Mexico)
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup dairy-free chocolate chips (like Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a muffin tray with liners or spray with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl combine oat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a blender combine avocado, maple syrup, applesauce and vanilla.
- Add blender ingredients to dry ingredients and then mix in eggs. Stir until well-combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly amongst muffin cups for a total of 12 muffins.
- Bake for 20 minutes (give or take depending on oven heat and altitude). Muffins are ready when the tops spring back after being touched.
- Allow to cool for 20 mins before removing from muffin tin.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for longer.
Notes *You can try replacing with whole wheat flour but you may want to decrease the flour slightly (around a ¼ cup)