Donut Cookie DIY // How to Bake and Decorate Donut Cookies!
Donut cookie DIY, anyone?! I’m thrilled to announce that Sam Ushiro of Aww, Sam will be contributing with some super cute DIYs for you (and me!) to try. I’ve been following Sam’s instagram and blog since she started, and after finally meeting her at our Brooklyn Brigade flower crown workshop, we decided to bring her on board as a contributor at both the studio and my blog. For her first post, she is teaching you how to make these darling donut cookies — I’m in love! Wouldn’t they make the cutest holiday gifts? Follow the step by step instructions for this donut cookie DIY, and if you’re in NYC this weekend, make sure you sign up for her holiday cookie decorating workshop at Brooklyn Brigade, for a more in-depth, hands on class with refreshments and gift bags for all attendees!
- Piping bags
- Rainbow sprinkles
- Two different sizes of circle cookie cutters
- Rolling pin
- Parchment paper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Half a box of powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons meringue powder
- 1/4 cup water
- Gel food coloring
For the cookies:
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and salt. In a separate bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add sugar and combine. Beat in vanilla. Add the flour mixture and mix until the flour is just incorporated and the dough sticks together.
- Split the dough in half and form into two disks. Wrap both in parchment paper and place into the refrigerator until firm.
- Once the dough is firm, preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Flour a clean surface and a rolling pin. With the rolling pin, roll out the dough to 1/4″ thickness. Use the circle cookie cutters to cut out the donut shapes and a smaller circle to cut out the inside. Keep re-rolling and cutting until there is no more dough.
- Place the cut dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and refrigerate again for 30 minutes. Bake for 12-13 minutes or until golden. Place on a wire rack to cool.
- Combine sugar and meringue powder then add the 1/4 cup of water until combined. Split the icing into 3 equal parts. With gel food coloring, color one pink, one brown, and leave one white.
- Transfer the icing into piping bags and cut a tip on the bag about 1/8″ wide.
- Once the cookies have cooled, take your royal icing and outline the outside of the donut and the inner circle. Allow this to dry.
- When it is dry, fill in the inside, shaking the cookie slightly to make sure the icing is even and to get rid of any bubbles. Quickly put on sprinkles and let the icing completely dry. Enjoy! xo, Sam
The post Donut Cookie DIY // How to Bake and Decorate Donut Cookies! appeared first on Keiko Lynn.