One Skillet Meal
I am all about a meal that is simple and uses the least amount of dishes. I am also a big fan of finding new recipes on Pinterest. Of all the things the internet is good for, sharing food and experiences with those recipes is high on my list!
I did just a couple of things differently than the recipe calls for you to do. I did omit the chipotle chili powder because my 5 year old would be eating it and I was afraid it may be too spicy for her. I also used monterey jack cheese instead of colby-jack simply because we like it better.
Overall opinion: it was meh. It was actually bland and I probably should have added the chipotle chili powder. I honestly couldn't even taste the green chilies at all. The corn tortillas added to the bland because they pretty much became mush in the pan. It was so underwhelming that I even forgot to snap a photo. We all agreed it was missing something. Unfortunately, we probably won't try this one again for a while.
One Pan Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada SkilletRecipe via Heather Likes Food
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 C chicken broth
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp chipotle chili powder (optional)
- ¼ tsp oregano
- 1 (4oz) can chopped green chilies
- 1 (4oz) can chopped black olives
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 C sour cream
- 12 corn tortillas, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1-2 C colby-jack cheese, grated
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat until melted. Stir in flour, cook for 1 minute and whisk in chicken broth. Continue stirring until smooth and thickened-- about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir chipotle chili powder, salt, oregano, green chilies and black olives into the sauce and place chicken breasts into pan. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, cover and cook about 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from pan, leaving the heat on low, and place chicken on a plate to shred into bite-sized pieces.
- Stir sour cream into the sauce and return chicken to the pan along with the tortillas. Stir until combined and top with grated cheese. Cover pan and cook for 5-8 minutes until bubbly and the cheese is melted.