Lily the Dragon
No sun to be expected in the next couple of days, but I couldn't wait for a chance to take nice pics. I just had to hare this with you as soon as the sleeve was on it.
She's going to my daughter's room and was already named Lily. Nice to meet you too.
I've shown the beginnings of her when I wrote about the fun workshop Ruth of Charly and Ben's Crafty Corner taught at our branch of the Irish Patchwork Society. I made a point of finishing this quilt asap, but it did take me longer than I hoped.
The wallhanging measures 30 by 51 in. This is the so-called ticker tape technique, of which you can find numerous beautiful examples on Pinterest. By using the black background I wanted to give some of the stained glass feel. The wings, which a rainbow of almost-solids look more like stained glass:
As in this technique the scraps are attached to an assembled quilt sandwich, the quilting of the image part is done while stitching, which is handy. So the decision was to be made only about quilting the background. I rejected the most obvious idea of doing it in black on black and instead decided to add more colour with my beloved YLI variegated thread which I have already used for several quilts.
Of course it means you can see all the mistakes and awkward turns, but I feel the bright curves give the quilt more of a fairy-tale look (or psychedelic look, if you like ;)))
To add even more colour (and psychedelia) I used the brightest piece of fabric I possess for the binding. Funny how one corner turned out to be all blue.
All in all it was a fun project, and it turned out more impressive than I could ever expect, thank you Ruth!
Linking up to Show Off Saturday at Sew Can She
Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts