Paleo Copycat “Pillsbury” Pie Crust. (Gluten/Grain/Egg/Coconut Free)
We are all familiar with that iconic pie crust in a box, right? Its easy and delicious and perfect every time! Think that because you've gone gluten free or paleo or becuase you have certain dietary restrictions that the days of enjoying everyone's favorite holiday pie crust are gone? Think again! This paleo copycat Pillsbury pie crust recipe delivers all the familiarity with none of the allergens! You'd be hard pressed to find a gluten free, grain free, coconut free AND egg free pie crust recipe anywhere, let alone one that tastes like a dead ringer for the original. This recipe was TEDIOUS to create, but worth every single trial and error. I hope that when you bake it up for your loved ones, you agree!
This is a Club Angell recipe that I'm posting publicly since the site is under construction currently! I know a number of you wanted to use it for Thanksgiving!Print Paleo Copycat “Pillsbury” Pie Crust. (Gluten/Grain/Egg/Coconut Free)
- 3/4 packed cup of blanched almond flour
- 1 1/4 cup of Tapioca or Arrowroot starch
- 4 Tbsp of Salted Butter
- 4 Tbsp of Palm Shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of xanthan or guar gum
- 4 Tbsp of Applesauce
- Reserve for later
- 1/4 cup of extra tapioca or arrowroot starch (OPTIONAL)
- In a large food processor (I use a 14 cup) add the almond flour, starch, butter, shortening, salt and xanthan or guy gum. Process until the dough begins to come together. Add the applesauce and process until a smooth dough forms.
- Place the dough into a sealed tupperware and place into the fridge 2 hours.
- After the dough has chilled- mix in the last 1/4 cup of starch and roll out between two sheets of parchment paper (dusting with extra starch as needed to prevent sticking) NOTE: If you chill the dough for 24 hours you will only need a LITTLE extra starch to roll the dough out. You won't need to mix in the full 1/4 cup.
- Quickly place the rolled out crust into the pie pan using the parchment as your guide. It should holds its shape without breaking.
- At this point you can either fill the crust with filling of choice and follow the directions for that pie. OR Bake the crust in a 350 degree oven 16-20 minutes until lightly golden.
This recipe was created by Brittany Angell - Paleo Copycat “Pillsbury” Pie Crust. (Gluten/Grain/Egg/Coconut Free) appeared first on Brittany Angell.