If one wishes to study in countries like US, UK, Australia, or any other majorly English-speaking countries, it is quite vital to take an English language test. There are many people who think that they are pro in English and can write, speak, read and understand the English language brilliantly. Still they are required to prove their skills and abilities by taking the test as they do not belong to a country whose national language is English.
It must be understood that speaking fluent English does not guarantee you a high score in such tests. It has been seen a number of times that most of the English speakers tend to take such steps for granted and it results in poor performance sometimes. Just because they take the test without any preparation and knowledge it becomes difficult for them to score well. It is highly significant to apprehend the test format and prepare accordingly.
• Do the research – The first step towards the preparation for the English proficiency test is the implementation of effective research. For non-native English speakers, there is not a single English language test. In fact, it depends upon the university to university or degree to degree. So it is always advisable to conduct proper research about the test in advance.
• Know about the test – It is equally important and significant to analyse and identify the test you need to take. It is beneficial to get familiarise with the sort of test in advance. Get the details about the test, for example, the TOEFL test includes four different sections with reading, writing, listening and speaking with different time-frames as well. You can focus your time and efforts on each section if you know about the details of the same. It is crucial to know the grading rubric as well.
• Practice a lot – To achieve higher score one needs to get frequent with the format of test by doing daily practice. Practice can surely improvise your score in the test. There is no better way than practice to brush up your skills and enhance knowledge for the English proficiency test.
• Listen to podcasts – It is a very unique way to prepare for such crucial tests. There are millions of English podcasts available online. You can pick one for yourself and listen when you get time. You will surely notice the improvement in your English listening as well as understanding skills. One can also watch English movies and web series.
• Read English newspaper – This never goes out of trend. Reading English magazine and newspaper helps you in gaining vital reading skills. There is a variety of English such as Australian, UK, and US.
• Try studying with apps – You can find numerous free language learning apps that can help you prepare for English language test anytime. The apps like Memrise, Duolingo, Open Language and FluentU are available for free.
One should start the preparation early in order to secure a high score and pass the test easily. If you feel your level is not up to the mark for the test then you can also take additional English lessons as well as English language classes.