Young Maleficent: DIY Costume
Deciding what costume to wear when you are a kid is kind of a big freaking deal. We’ve been talking about it for months and months. And they’ve all changed their mind every few days. Well, as we got closer I jumped online to buy some Halloween costumes for my kiddos. Making sure they made a final decision. For Avery, I purchased Little Red Riding Hood… since she mentioned that many times and I thought she’d look so adorable!
When the package arrived it was pure drama… apparently I was wayyyyyy off and she wanted to be the young Maleficent. Ummmm, ok, but I thought I had mentioned to her that no one made that costume. At least not that I could find. She was heart broken and she must’ve caught me on a really good day because I told her that I would make her one.
It actually ended up being a really fun project. We went together to the fabric store to choose the fabric for the dress, horns and wings. Collin cut the wings from cardboard and I covered them with fabric. I made the dress with a really simple pattern plus I winged it a bit. This thing is held together by a thread and hot glue. haha Last, I made the horns finishing touches on the dress bodice.
She has thanked us so many times and mentioned repeatedly that she’s so grateful for putting this together for her. When I was younger my mom made the majority of our costumes. I distinctly remember hearing the hum of her sewing machine into the late hours of the night on Halloween Eve. So it was fun to do the same for Ave.
Tonight we ran up the road from our home and took some pics of her. She was loving it and totally in character. Here are some of my favorites I wanted to share with you…
I made the horns by starting with a headband, floral wire (I had on hand), very small paper cups, hot glue, tape, foil and fabric.
Start by attaching one end of the 7″ wire to the headband. Then slide the cup down the wire to the headband and tape the cup to the headband. Next, start molding the horns with foil. It’s so much easier than you would think and just mold until you like it. Then I used fabric strips and hot glue to cover the foil. The hot glue worked well with the foil.
I needed to readjust the horns before these pics because she’d worn them to a party the night before and they are not quite symmetrical for these pics so I need to bend them back to where they were… but you get the idea.